Friday 24 September 2010

Using Reeds

This week we have started to use Reeds grown in the lakes in Finland within our work.  In Raili's class we use the reeds (after soaking for 1 hour) to do basketry work.  The first sample we did was a spiral technique that when done well, looks really effective.  Unfortunately, I'm not so sure my sample does the technique any justice!

To inspire my work, I have decided to look at the repetative pattern within the chosen fir cone form, as well as the shape of the cone itself.  This next sample takes this idea and concetrates on repetition due to the process of continually overlapping the reeds whilst making the piece and the pattern created once the form has taken shape. 


The next sample looks at both the pattern and the form and uses a simple weaving technique wrapped around a styrofoam egg shape.  I think that this is the most interesting and successful sample, even if it is a little obvious.


No comments:

Post a Comment